Friday, June 13, 2014

Let's Talk About Stress, Baby!

While driving home from Philadelphia, my mom, sister-in-law and I were talking about stress.  My mom said that "80% of the things you worry about and stress you out, don't end up happening."  When you think about it, that sounds about right to me.  There are small things in everyday life that are stressful, but there are also ways to deal with them.  Without further ado, here's my latest list...

6 Things We Unnecessarily Stress About

1. Our birthday


I'm the queen of wanting my birthday to be perfect but, in all reality, it's just another day.  I worry about what my plans are throughout the day, what cute outfit to wear (see #3), and even which of my favorite meals to have.  Every year I stress out about it, and every year I am reminded how lucky I am to have such a great husband, family and group of friends who go out of their way to make me feel special.  PS - My birthday is 27 days away.... just sayin'.

2. Mondays


I have made the decision to start thinking of Mondays as my new favorite day of the week.  I know what you're thinking... "we'll see how long that lasts."  But, seriously!  I think you should all join me in this experiment to take the negativity away from Mondays.  Think of all the years Mondays have had such a bad rep!

3. What to wear


You look fine great!  I always stress out about what to wear.  Am I overdressed or not fancy enough?  Does this top work with these jeans?  As I've mentioned, I'm working on a bit of a clothing overhaul but, also trying to be aware that anyone who judges based solely on clothes aint no friend of mine.

4. Running late


Maybe it's just me, but even when I feel like I'm running late, I usually show up on time.  I tend to give myself so much time to get somewhere I'm usually early.  And even if I was late, no one seems to care too much.

5. Traveling


Whether it's packing or taking the metro to a stop you can't pronounce, traveling can be nerve-wracking because of the unknown elements.  I have learned it is much more fun to just go with the flow.  Yes, you need to make sure you're safe, but sometimes it's better not to have plans.  I have found traveling without plans usually leads to the best finds!

6. Our weight


Trust me, I get this one.  Especially as a girl, I know how down we can feel about how we look or how much we weigh.  I think everyone struggles with body image issues thanks to pressure from todays media.  Over the past few months I have been trying to pay attention to the parts of my body that I like.  If I'm feeling down about how I look, I find it helpful to take a step back and remember how lucky I am to be healthy and happy.

-------------

Reading over this list, I've noticed that these stressors basically fall into two categories: physical appearance and change.  Maybe it's because its summertime and the livings easy, but I am working on consciously making an effort to not stress myself out. 

Stress is bad for your health (seriously, I am convinced stress kills you) and just not worth is!  What is the point of stressing out anyway?  When you worry about things or get angry, it does no good.  I'm going to try and go with the flow a bit more and see how that changes my view of things. 

What do you stress about?  Any tips for dealing with stress?

No comments:

Post a Comment