Wednesday, June 11, 2014

Cleaning Out my Closet

Over the past few months I have been frustrated every time I try to figure out what to wear.  I'll put something on, hate how it looks, and through it on my closet floor.  After enough clothes pile up, I put them back on their hangers until the next time they angrily get tossed back onto the floor while I say "Ugh, I hate this shirt!  I never have anything to wear!"


 
Each time I go through this charade, I get annoyed with how I look and end up feeling angry for the next 20 minutes.  Finally, it clicked that if I just get rid of ALL the clothes who's lives revolve around hanging in the closet and getting tossed onto the floor, I wouldn't have the option to put them on and become unsurprisingly infuriated! 

A closet clean out was a must.

The following questions became the criteria for cleaning out my closet:
  1. Does it fit?
  2. Have you worn it in the last six months (or the last season if applicable)?
  3. Was it purchased in high school? If the answer is yes, get rid of it- trust me.
  4. Does it have any tears/stains that you have tried to cover up each time you wear it?
  5. Is it a trend that has ended?  If you ordered it from a Delia's catalog... it's time to go.
If there are any items I'm unsure of, I'll try them on again and plan an outfit around them.  I have the same routine when it comes to getting "rid" of clothes.  Everything goes into big bags and sits in Scott's closet for 3 weeks.

If I end up wanting to wear something, I can work it back into my wardrobe before it's gone for good.  After the 3 weeks are up, the clothes are gone! 

I think it's necessary every once in a while to reevaluate my wardrobe and update a bit.  It's good for my sanity, cuts down on Scott's wait-time with me getting ready, and my sister/cousins benefit from hand-me-downs (or "hammy-downs" as Liz likes to call them). 

Do you do a big closet clean out ever?  What are your rules for ditching your old clothes?

No comments:

Post a Comment