Wednesday, October 1, 2014

DIY Halloween Candle Holders

Happy October!  The month of dressing up and eating way too much candy has officially arrived!

I've been trying to come up with ways to reuse my glass containers from B&BW 3-wick candles I may or may not be obsessed with.  Spooky and sparkly candle holders are the perfect addition to my fall and halloween decor!  


These are super easy to make, and you can customize them for different holidays or whatever look you're going for!  Follow along for a step-by-step tutorial.  Here's what you will need:


  • Glass containers (Mine are left over from Bath & Body Works 3-wick candles.  They take a bit of elbow grease to clean up, but it's worth the time!)
  • Mod Podge
  • Wax Paper
  • Glitter (I used black and orange)
  • Masking tape
  • Foam paintbrush
  • Tea lights or other small candles

Step 1

Lay the wax paper over your working surface.  Make sure your containers are nice and clean, then use the masking tape to create whatever pattern you'd like.  I made a jack-o-lantern face and a simple striped pattern.

 


Step 2

Using the foam brush, spread an even but generous layer of mod podge on the inside of the glass.  For the striped container, I painted every other stripe to begin.


Step 3

Fill the container with the glitter and shake it around until it's evenly coated.  Dump out any extra on the wax paper and back into the container.  After I used the orange glitter in the striped glass, I painted the remaining stripes with mod podge and repeated the process with the black glitter.



Step 4

After about 30 minutes, use tweezers to remove the masking tape.  It was hard to see the jack-o-lantern face against just the orange glitter, so I layered mod podge and black glitter over top of the back half of the container and it turned out much better.



I absolutely love how these turned out and want to thank +missglamorazzi for the inspiration!  If you make a new candle holder, send me a picture :).  I'm sure I'll be using more jars for other holidays!

Check back in Friday for a flashback to our wedding a (whole) year ago!

No comments:

Post a Comment