Wednesday, July 16, 2014

Review: Roots Café

Roots Café has been a favorite spot of mine since they opened.  The provide "local, organic, sustainable" and delicious food at an adorable spot in downtown West Chester. 

Roots started in a little location on Gay Street, and moved into a bigger spot down a couple of blocks (with outdoor seating!) last year.  They serve breakfast and lunch Tuesday-Sunday, and dinner Thursday-Saturday.  While working in the borough, I have been lucky enough to both pick up food from Roots and sit down to enjoy a meal.


The restaurant itself is very rustic, and it feels light and open with its windows and tall ceilings.  The most lovely art is displayed on the walls, along with a looooong list of local farms and suppliers.


"Know where our food comes from..."
The lunch menu covers salads, a few appetizers, and hot and cold sandwiches.  There is normally a grilled cheese special, a soup of the day, and changing side dishes.  I've tried at least 6 different items off of the menu, and they have all been delicious!  My favorites include the Secret Garden sandwich and the ALT (avocado-lettuce-tomato).  Most of the time, I order a combo so I can try more!



My sisters and I ate at Roots on my birthday.  Here's a look at what we ordered:

Roasted vegetable grilled cheese with arugula salad.

Roasted vegetable grilled cheese with tomato basil soup.

ALT with bacon and couscous salad.
Of course our meals were delicious again!  One thing I love about Roots is that I never feel sick when I leave.  Some places will serve huge portions of greasy food, you won't find that at Roots.  Plus, they are reasonable and use high quality, local ingredients.

If you're looking for lunch (or breakfast or dinner!) in the borough, give Roots a try!  I don't think you'll be disappointed.

Side note: I bought a sweatshirt at their original location about a year ago (not sure if they still have the same ones), and it is by far my most comfortable sweatshirt!

No comments:

Post a Comment