Wednesday, July 9, 2014

A(nother) Year Older

As much as we believe that we become an adult overnight on our 18th birthday, it's a much longer process than that.  Over the past year and a half, especially, my life has changed dramatically in many ways.  I lost my dad, Scott and I got married, and we celebrated 2 years as homeowners.  I know I have a lot more to learn, but it's wild to look back and see how much my life has changed.

I'm a big believer in taking a step back and being aware of lessons I've learned.  So, on my last day as 23, I want to reflect and bit on the past year.  Here are a few things I want to remember...

1. Quality over quantity




An important thing I've become more and more aware of, is that friendships should be easy.  They should be fun and enjoyable and drama-free.  Throughout middle, high school and college, that may not always be the case.  But as you get older, you start deciding who your true friends are, and those relationships become stronger.  I'm in no way saying that as an adult you drop all of your friends, but there will be times when people grow apart and that's okay.  It's never easy to see friendships end, but sometimes they do.  A lot of times in my school-years, it was about how many friends you had on FaceBook or how many "likes" a picture got.  Ay yi yi, how did I consider that important?!  This lesson may seem like a cliché, but it becomes truer everyday.

2. Experiences are totally worth it


Sometimes Scott and I have to remind ourselves that one of the reasons we work is to enjoy our lives!  Yes, we make sure our bills are covered.  Yes, we make sure we're saving.  Yes, we make sure we're spending reasonably and responsibly.  However, unforgettable experiences like concerts, travelling or even weekend trips are worth it!  We have a trip coming up with our friends this summer that we are so excited about!  It's expensive, but we know the memories together will be worth it.  Make sure you do something fun for yourself every once in a while.

3. Life is expensive = Budgeting is important



 
Home repairs and bills cost more than you think!  Each time we start a project in the house, it leads to at least two more.  When we plan a project and set a budget, we are normally surprised to find out what the actual cost is.  It's always worth it to learn about your options and realize plans can be changed.  It took Scott and I about 6-9 months in our house to figure out what our monthly expenses would be.  The important thing about a budget is not to set it too high before you start a project (whether it's moving, redoing a room, etc.).   We over estimated all of our bills to make sure we could afford it.  Trust me, there have been months when our PECO bill makes us crazy, but we've planned for it, so we know we can manage.

---------------------

23 was a huge transitional year for me, and I am incredibly thankful everyone in my life this year.  There was an outpour of support from my friends and family when my family lost my dad, and that is something I will be forever grateful for.  Getting married to Scott was one of the best days of my life, and, again, we were surrounded by people we love.  I guess the biggest lesson I've learned this year is to keep people in your life that love you and care for you - it makes all the difference.

If you've made it this far, thank you!  You deserve a cookie slice of birthday cake ;).  Happy Wednesday!

No comments:

Post a Comment