Wednesday, April 9, 2014

#1. Take a Hot Yoga Class

My awesome friend Melissa helped me cross this one off the list!  We found a deal on LivingSocial (thank you, Jackie!) for 5 bikram yoga classes at a studio near us.  We actually completed this over a month ago, but here is a recap I wrote right after...
-------------------
2/11/14:  We took our first class tonight and all I can say is "hot damn"!  The room started out at 105 degrees and got up to 118!!!  When Melissa and I got there, we looked at each other and immediately felt over dressed.  We were in tank tops and capris while everyone else was in bikinis and booty shorts (yeah, no that's not.happenin'.).
Before
We set up our yoga mats and a seasoned Yogi helped us a little.  Our teacher was really nice and helpful, but talked so fast.  She opened class with a short speech about feeling nauseous or light headed and that people have thrown up/passed out in her classes before.  I was nervous right away and decided to take it easy so that I wouldn't become that girl.

The room was steamy hot and feels like it gets hotter as the class goes on.  We started with a few breathing exercises (kind of the most awkward part) and warm ups, then you go through 26 poses and hold them for about 30 seconds each.  Some were easier than others and some I couldn't get into.  The nice thing about our teacher is that she wouldn't call you out for doing something wrong, she would just try to be helpful.

Toward the end of the class there was a lot of up and down between laying on the mat and doing different poses.  I did start to feel a little nauseous, but skipped a pose and sat on my mat and the feeling went away.  By the end of the class, Melissa and I were DRIPPING sweat.
After (doesn't even do justice, we were GROSS).
-------------------
Fast forward almost 2 months... we completed our 5 classes and ended up really liking it! We plan on going back soon, we just don't know how often ;).  It is definitely an intense work out, and not for everyone, but I'm so glad we tried it!
Have you tried hot yoga?

No comments:

Post a Comment