Tuesday, September 9, 2014

Swimming With Dolphins aka How I Met My New BFFs

I kissed a dolphin! And did tricks with a dolphin! Annnnd rode on the fins of TWO dolphins! If you ever get the chance to swim with them, do.it.  While in Curaçao, we visited the Sea Aquarium and Dolphin Academy. There were a couple options to "meet the dolphins" (basically sitting waisted deep in water and petting them), but we decided to go big and get in the water with them!



First, we met with the dolphin trainer to learn about how to approach a dolphin and swim with them. We watched a short video with some tips, got our flippers on and headed out to meet the beauties!  Our group ended up being really lucky. Since there were only 6 of us, we got to go into the nursing pool with the baby and momma dolphins!


Getting in the water I was a little nervous because I didn't want to make the dolphins nervous or approach them the wrong way, but once I got to pet a dolphin it was awesome! You get a pretty good workout in and need to have some energy since you're treading water for a solid 30 minutes.  For the first 15, everyone gets to play a game with a dolphin and get a kiss.  The last 15 minutes are free swim and you put on your snorkel mask and get to spend time with them.  It was so amazing how they swim with you and they get a little playful.






I miss my BFFs already ;) - if I get the chance again I'll definitely swim with more dolphins!  They're very smart and friendly, plus we got to see how the momma interacted with her baby.  She would get distracted from time to time and swim over to check on her baby; it was so adorable!

That wraps up our Curacao trip, friday will feature one of our favorite places in the borough!  Thanks for reading!

No comments:

Post a Comment