Wednesday, September 17, 2014

Farmer's Market Favorites

I'm a big fan of supporting local shops and restaurants, and I try to carry that local support out to our farmers and vendors around the area.  It takes a little time to get used to/familiar with shopping at a farmer's market, but in the long run, I believe you find better quality food and, in some cases, end up saving money!  Win win situation my friends!

Most Saturday mornings Scott and I head into the borough for the lovely West Chester Growers Market!  It's open May through December from 9AM-1PM.  We try to get there early to have the best options from all the vendors.  The vendors range from delis and produce to beautiful flowers and anything maple you can imagine.




We've found a few staples over the summer, and we can't help but going back for more of what we love!  Here are a few of our recommendations:

1. Maple Oat Clusters, Granola, and Honey Whole Wheat Bread from Big Sky Bread Company



If you get there early enough, Big Sky Bread Co. offers half loafs, which are perfect for just Scott and I.  The bread is fluffy and toasts up really nicely; it makes the best grilled cheese :).  In addition to bread, we always find something good to snack on for the rest of our shopping trip (like the maple clusters or granola!).  The bread will need to be refrigerated since they use no preservatives.

2. Italian Herb Goat Cheese from Yellow Springs Farm



Speaking of grilled cheese, this goat cheese lasts like 3 days in our house.  I put is on crackers, salads, or in scrambled eggs.  It's been great every time I've had it!  They have had a lavender soft goat cheese in the past, but it sold out before I could get one!

3. Blood Orange Bergemot /Lavender Lime/Santorini soap from Ellen April Handcrafted Soap



These lovely soaps hold a special place in my heart.  When my parents moved into the borough, my dad's health was slowly getting worse.  One Saturday morning he woke up and walked to the farmers market, not the easiest thing for him at the time.  He came home with just a bar of soap for my mom because he knew how much she loved it.  I think that was such a sweet, romantic gesture.  Every once in a while, I will treat myself to a new soap; they smell amazing and make great gifts, too!

4. Salami from Maiale Deli



Mailae Deli makes some delicious salami and sausages!  I believe we get the Tuscan salami which is seasoned with garlic, wine and fennel.  Some Mailae salami on the honey whole wheat bread and goat cheese.... lunch most Saturdays ;)

5. Pickles, jams, and Fiber Balls from Lizzie's Kitchen




The fiber balls were a random find, but they are so good.  Not really sure where the fiber is coming from, they seem like cookies in ball form to us. We have yet to try a pie from Lizzie's kitchen, but I doubt we'll be able to say that for much longer!  Lizzie's bread and butter pickles are awesome, too.

-------------------

The fruit and veggies we've gotten from different vendors have all been great, especially the broccoli and apples.  If you've been to the borough grower's market, leave a comment with any suggestions I should try!

Friday will feature another restaurant review, this time... breakfast!

2 comments:

  1. I've always wanted to check out the Grower's Market, but never have! Adding it to my list of things to do this fall.... :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Enjoy! I'm excited to see what's coming this fall... hopefully anything and everything pumpkin! ;)

      Delete