Tuesday, March 25, 2014

Why I Deleted My FaceBook

 
I decided about 6-7 months ago that I wanted to delete my personal FaceBook.  On Thanksgiving last year, I had my little sister change my password and deactivate my account, deleted the app off my phone, and logged out from my laptop.  I literally have no way of getting back on unless I go begging my sister for my password.  I sound like an addict!  But, in all honesty, I was!  I would check my FaceBook multiple (we're talking >10 times a day), and I came to the realization that it was just completely unhealthy.  As of today, I am officially 4 months FaceBook free!


(Do I get a sticker or a cookie or something?!)
 
Reasons I deleted my personal FaceBook:
  1. I felt like too many people could see my "life"... or what I chose to share online.  Want to hear what's going on with me?  Let's get lunch and catch up face to face!
  2. It's a test to see how many friends actually remember my birthday...
  3. It took away the excitement of finding out news.
    • Example: "Did you see so-and-so got engaged?!", "Yeah, I already saw on FaceBook." whomp whomp
  4. I realized people only "friended" me when I had big events in my life.  Get engaged?  Ton of friend requests.  Get married?  Everyone wants to be your "friend" to see your pictures (and probably talk smack on them).
Life without FaceBook:
  1. Lots more surprises!  I found out two different couples were engaged in real life, not online!
  2. So much more to catch up on with your friends.  "Nope, I don't know your latest news cause I'm not on FaceBook!"
  3. Less time starring at your iPhone.  Don't get me wrong, I still look at lots of apps, but getting rid of FaceBook made me aware that I need to put my phone down more often.
This was a personal decision that made sense for me at this point in my life.  I think back to my pre-FaceBook days (I was a member for about 7 years) and a part of me wishes I never made a profile.  Yeah I would have been the only one without one, but I wonder what parts of life I missed out on while updating my "Favorite Quotes" section in my profile.  Alright, enough philosophical questions about life - I need to go see what's new on instagram! ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment