Thursday, January 1, 2015

Our New Year's Eve Feast!

Happy New Year!  It's that time of year where people set intentions for the year and celebrate starting over.  And also the time of year where it takes me a couple weeks to get used to writing the date!

When Scott and I decided we were going to spend NYE just the two of us at home, we decided to plan a delicious menu to keep the night special and end the year right.  Number 7 on my 25 before 25 list was to cook Scott a four course meal from scratch (minus 1 little ingredient) and this was the perfect opportunity.

We sat down the night before NYE and planned the menu together and it sounded so good.  I was a little nervous to try to time everything right, but (not to brag), everything turned out perfectly!  Here's a look at our delicious NYE.


First Course
Guacamole Bruchetta


Oh my goodness this is such a good combination.  We (Scott) could not stop eating this, but I knew what we had ahead of us!  The guacamole is a simple combination on avocado, red onion, lime juice, salt and pepper.  I didn't blend the guac as much as I normally do so that it would hold up better on the french bread.

I mentioned that I didn't make one thing from scratch... it was the bruchetta.  A Cut Above Deli in Newtown Square makes the best bruchetta I have ever had, so I don't even try to compete!  This appetizer was easy and delicious, it will definitely be a repeat recipe.

Second Course
Craisin, Walnut & Goat Cheese Salad


Scott picked up a honey goat cheese that was awesome and I added a cranberry vinaigrette to our mixed greens, walnuts and craisins - yum!  The goat cheese was sweet and creamy, the craisins added a little tang, and walnuts were a perfect addition for a crunch.  We've made this salad before; it's actually really similar to what was served at our wedding.  This was the easy course of our meal!

Third Course
Filet Mignon with Garlic Whipped Potatoes & Lemon Pepper Asparagus



We knew our main dish would be filet.  First I made the mashed potatoes with a little whole milk, butter, salt and pepper.  I steamed the asparagus and added fresh cracked pepper and lemon juice.  Then came the filet.  I have never made it perfectly before so I was a little nervous.  

I seared each side for two and half minutes and the edges for a minute each, then put them in the oven at 400 degrees for five minutes.  I let them rest another five minutes before slicing them, and I'm not kidding they were amazing!  Honestly, I couldn't even believe how well they turned out.

Fourth Course
Creme Brûlée


Dessert was another first for me.  When we order dessert out, Scott and I always split creme brûlée.  I had been wanting to make it, and it was easier than I expected.  I know a few adjustments I can make for next time, but it was sweet and creamy and pretty darn good.

It's not NYE without some champagne!  We finished the last bottle from our wedding before I passed out at 11... I did wake up to see the ball drop :)


Wishing everyone a happy and healthy new year filled with lots of fun!  My goal is to travel more and be present when I'm with people I care about.  See you back here soon :)

No comments:

Post a Comment