Monday, April 13, 2015

Café Amelie

Easter morning Liz's birthday started off with a few beignets from Cafe du Monde (ahhhh-mazing) before we strolled down Royal Street to enjoy brunch Café Amelie.  I knew this would be a great meal once we rounded the corner into the beautiful outdoor courtyard with a big fountain, star lights, and gorgeous greenery.  We were seated for our reservation within five minutes (a big plus in my book).



The menu was equal parts sweet and savory, with dishes ranging from a pulled pork special (you'll see that soon) to a banana Belgian waffle.  We started out with some delicious mid-morning cocktails, the Orange Blossom.  They were a play on mimosas with orange bitters and an orange peal, but much lighter and refreshing than the usual addition of orange juice.  Molly and I loved the elderflower liqueur, too!




When it came time to order, I was torn between two meals, but ended up very happy with my decision! Molly and Scott were undecided, but won over when they heard the special of the day.  I chose the grilled (and deliciously seasoned!) chicken served over a waffle with andouille gravy (obviously couldn't decide between sweet and savory).  The chicken was juicy and had a nice little kick with the spicy gravy.  It was a seriously awesome dish.


The Easter Sunday special was pulled pork served over a cheddar biscuit with two sunny side up eggs and andouille gravy.  Molly and Scott both loved this dish and I enjoyed the bite I got to try ;)


Matt ordered the (huge!) Amelie french toast with a southern pecan sauce.  He described it as pound cake french toast and really liked the sweet pecan sauce it was topped with.


Lastly, Liz and Liza both picked the farmers frittata with potatoes, onions, peppers, mushrooms, tomato and shredded cheese.  Both gals were happy with their veggie option and Liz said she didn't miss the (normally included) bacon or sausage that would be served with an omelette!


Final score - 9.5 out of 10.  From start to end this place was beautiful and served amazing entrees.  I gave Café Amelie a 10/10 no questions asked, but one of us asked for hot sauce and it never came, so we decided to drop the score to 9.5.  This was one of my favorite meals of the trip and the atmosphere was so beautiful, I would have loved to go back in the evening to see it all lit up for dinner!

1 comment:

  1. My food was amazing!!!! I'm dreaming of a cheddar biscuit and egg now.

    ReplyDelete