Tuesday, March 3, 2015

How I Plan A Trip

Whenever I'm getting ready to go away, I do quite a bit of research and planning.  Not every minute is scheduled and planned, but I definitely have a good idea of how the trip is going to go.  I've always been a planner, so planning vacation to me is fun.  I'm talking about planning around local events, deals, and places to eat, not planning what time to set your alarm everyday and exactly hour many hours will be spent on the beach.  Trips are meant to be fun and relaxed, but that doesn't mean you should travel unprepared!

Depending on if I'm traveling internationally or not, my planning will be a bit different.  Right now, I'm getting all our reservations together for New Orleans next month.  We're only there for a few days, so planning them out a bit will help us see as much as we can.  Here's my advice for planning ahead for a stress free and fun vacation!

1. Read all about it and ask around


Some of my greatest resources are my friends!  If they've traveled wherever you're heading (and you trust their opinion), friends can be a huge asset in planning.  Get their thoughts on where to stay and must-see places.

In addition, I always search Google to find out what the weather should be like, the places to see, and usually some history.  I like knowing where I'm headed to have a better idea of what will work for not only myself, but who I'm traveling with.  It's important to take into account who is on the trip and what their interests are.

2. Get the scoop on local food


Trying new foods is a huge part of traveling, and there are some great resources that can help you decide where to stop and where to skip.  I always check the Food Network site and, of course, Yelp!  Yelp is great for recommending places for any meal of the day, while I check out the Food Network for specialty stops.  If there is a place nearby mentioned on "The Best Thing I Ever Ate" and it sounds good to me, it's making the list!  After reviewing places on both sites, I try to make a few reservations.  These are obviously helpful if you're traveling with a large group during a busy time (check and check for NOLA!).


3. Understand your surroundings


Google Maps is incredibly helpful in deciding where to stay.  I normally find a hotel within the area we want to stay and check out how far it is from the airport and places we specifically want to see.  For New Orleans, Google Maps is incredibly helpful in finding out walking times and even biking terrain.  It's nice to see a street view of the hotel we'll be visiting so we know what to look for and what is around the corner.


4. Check out local events


Knowing what is going on where you're visiting is crucial.  This information helps understand why hotel rates could be high and if you're going to be walking into a stampede or a ghost town.  If you're traveling internationally, you have to do this!  I remember when we visited Italy the first time some of the towns were on their summer siesta so they were basically closed...like the entire town.  Trust me, look into what's going on wherever you're headed!

5. Groupon is your new BFF


Groupon is awesome for both hotel deals and local deals.  Look out for those and local activities like pub crawls and tours.  Often times you can snag a great deal so it's worth checking often.


------------------------------------

Hopefully some of these tips can help you plan your next trip.  Once I get closer to leaving, I start to plan my outfits and what makes the cut into my suitcase!  If you have any trip planning tips, leave me a comment :)

No comments:

Post a Comment