Tuesday, March 17, 2015

Redesign: Basement Style

Two weeks ago I came home to the sweet sound of a razor blade on carpet.  We've been wanting to redo our basement for almost two years, and Scott finally decided enough was enough and started ripping out the carpet!  By the next day the carpet was out, furniture was listed on FreeCycle, and we were picking out tile.


We picked out Cold Steel from Behr for the walls and light gray 12x24 tiles; they look tan above but they are really a light gray.  The floors should be done today (fingers and toes crossed... come on luck of the Irish!), and we'll be ordering a sectional this week.

This past weekend Scott and I went furniture shopping and it was quite the experience!  We went from store to store seeing what was available, out of budget, and just ugly.  We dealt with salesman 20 years on the job versus 2 weeks; I was over it 6 stores later.  I ended up really liking a piece from Macy's, but once we got home and measured it with with fish tank measurements (Scott's upgrading to a bigger tank), I realized it would be way too snug.  So onto plan B!

In terms of measurements and price, the Whitten sectional from Raymour & Flannigan is our best bet.  The pillows will have to be switched out since they don't fit with the color scheme, but I found a couple I like at Target.  The area rug is from Target, too, and I'm hoping it will tie the gray from the tiles in with the neutral tan couch.

The lighting in the basement is no bueno so I'd like to get a lamp that brings a lot of light in and have an electrician come out to look at putting some high hats in on the stairs.  We're also working on refinishing the stairs and installing a runner - lots of things to pick out and projects to finish!  I'll be posting about installing the runner ourselves and a few other DIY projects along the way - stay tuned :)

No comments:

Post a Comment