Wednesday, February 4, 2015

Advice to My 18-Year-Old Self

This past weekend Scott and I went out for sushi and I experienced some serious déjà vu. While we were waiting to be seated, we stood next to a table of 12 high schoolers- 4 guys and 8 girls.  They were getting ready to head out when we watched their check get returned because there wasn't enough cash.  Cue instant flashback to the times that would happen to my friends and me, clearly we were still learning our math.  It was always a little embarrassing when the waitress would bring the check back, filled with fives and ones thrown in from slowly dwindling allowances and paychecks from Dairy Queen.

Anyway, the kids (am I old enough to call them kids?) laughed it off and threw in more money; the poor waitress knew what that meant for her tip.  As I watched them talk a little more and eventually head out, I started to think about what my advice would have been to them.  I was in their shoes not too long ago and, now that I'm a little wiser, I feel like I could give them some tips.  Without further ado, here is....

Advice to My 18-Year-Old Self

  1. The sooner you learn (and accept) who you are, the sooner you'll learn to be happy.
  2. Don't get sucked into the drama of high school, it will not matter to you at all. Ever.
  3. If you go, take your time to declare a major in college; don't rush into picking the thing your going to do everyday for the next 35 years.
  4. Use a light hand when applying bronzer and get your foundation matched ;)
  5. Start making healthy habits now, it's surprising how much harder it gets.
  6. Unless you've met the one, stay single.  You'll (probably) spend your life with someone, enjoy the time by yourself now.
  7. Spend quality time with your family; when you move out you'll miss them more than you think.
  8. Set goals for yourself.  If you're always working toward a new goal and accomplishing tasks you set for yourself, it's incredible for your confidence and overall happiness.
  9. Focus on the friendships that mean the most to you and put a real effort into strengthening them.
  10. Try new things!

Once I started thinking about the advice I would give someone at 18, I started wondering what someone ten years older than me would tell me now.  Any takers?

Meet me back here Friday to get in the mood.... for Valentine's Day!

No comments:

Post a Comment