Monday, February 24, 2014

#9. Take A Spinning Class

January 14, 2014 - COMPLETED!!!
 
Oh.my.god.  I took my first cycling class tonight and made it - it was crazy hard!  Thank GOD I had my little sister, Liz with me.  I went to the gym after work and met up with Scott to do a few arm exercises.  When Liz got there, we stretched and went over to the cycle room, just before it filled up with people.  I think there were two or three empty bikes.  Our teacher, Kelly, introduced herself and showed us how to adjust the resistance and what the different positions were.  She said the class can be at our own pace (which is kinnnnd of a lie).  
 
We started our “warm-up” - I use the term loosely as I was basically out of breath by the time we finished it.  Then, we did our first climb, upping our resistance every 30 seconds or so.  This is when I found out the whole “go at your own pace” thing was a little bit of a white lie.  Every 30 seconds, Kelly would yell “Up your resistance by 2!  This is not an option!!!” or “Okay, hover!  Stand!  Back to hover!”  It was re-dic-uh-lus.  
 
After the climb we had a brief rest, then sprints - 30 seconds on, 15 seconds off.  Another rest, climb, set of sprints, and rest.  At this point I am sweating my ass off (I am not a bigger sweater to begin with) and Liz is dripping sweat on the bike next to me.  Then came partner work.  First we did a little relay, each person sprinting 0.2 miles.  Next we raced against each other, doesn’t matter who won…. I won ;).  
 
We did one more climb and then had a cool down.  Kelly was really good about making sure we stretched and didn’t leave with jelly legs.  Liz and I were a sweaty mess, but within 10 minutes, I was thinking I would do it again (not right after my class, obviously, but another night)!  I felt like I had a really great workout and I liked how Kelly pushed us.  So exciting to cross something off the list!

 

No comments:

Post a Comment