Monday, August 24, 2015

Tales from the Open (House) Road

Oh, house shopping.  I was so excited for you!  Let's sell the townhouse, we said.  So we did, and now we need (read: are desperate to find) a new place.

I've been lucky enough to spend my Sunday afternoons walking/running/holding-my-breath through quite a few open houses in the area.  Thankfully, I have lots of people willing to go with me to these shindigs (well, at least one person- thanks Mel!).

Let me start by saying that I'm 100% aware no house will be perfect and I will probably want to change lots of things.  However, I didn't anticipate getting scolded out of houses, the number of bathrooms I'd see with carpet, or that I would keep running into the same listing agent, who we'll refer to as.... Bob.

The most interesting things to happen to date include:

  • Walking through bedrooms to find more bedrooms and closets that look like they were used as torture chambers more bedrooms.
  • Meeting "Bob" at an open house and having him strongly recommend we put in an offer in on the house (that we really wanted and was already sold when Bob told us this)
  • Continuously running into Bob at additional open houses and exchanging incredibly fake pleasantries/agent trash talk on Bob's end
  • Being reminded by a seriously condescending agent that "buying a house is not a joke" and that it's "very expensive to buy and sell real estate."  Yes, sir, I'm not actually here as a joke, I'm here to see the house.  And, no, I'm not interested in the haunted house your selling.

It's been an interesting process so far, for sure!  Anyway, some exciting news is to come because we just may have found the place for us.  Wherever we end up, there are lots of fun projects in our future!

2 comments:

  1. Oh the joy of home ownership. The right one will / is out there. Maybe Bob's the problem!

    ReplyDelete